The ketogenic or keto diet is a very low-carbohydrate type of diet. Due to its effects on losing weight fast, more and more people are trying this method.
For beginners, it is essential to educate yourself before starting. While the ketogenic diet can be an effective method of losing weight, there is likely a lack of nutrients if it is not done correctly.
This article details how to get started on the keto diet, an example of a ketogenic weekly menu plan for the first phase, and answers frequently asked questions that often concern beginners.
RELATED: Free keto diet menu pdf
How to start the ketogenic diet? – Tips for beginners
When starting the ketogenic diet, the basic rule of thumb is to limit carbohydrate foods and replace them with fats; proteins are allowed in moderate amounts.
To ensure you can stick to your weekly keto menu plan, beginners are advised to eliminate (from the fridge and pantry) most carbohydrate foods.
Beginners should replenish their supplies with foods with healthy fats, vegetable oils, and protein when starting the ketogenic diet. Flours, sugar, and sweets should not be within reach.
For a beginner, the first week can be difficult. The body is not used to these amounts of carbohydrates. However, this is a period of adaptation to phase 1 of the plan.
A keto diet is safe for most people. However, before starting, it is necessary to consult your doctor if:
- You take medication for diabetes
- You take blood pressure medicine
- You are a pregnant or lactating woman.
- You are a teenager or growing up.
If you don’t fall into any of these situations, you can start the ketogenic diet immediately.
Ketogenic Diet for Beginners – Weekly Menu
When starting the keto diet, you should know that during the first week, you need to drink a more significant amount of water and consume slightly more salt (about 6 grams per day). This is, so beginners don’t get the keto flu and avoid unwanted side effects.
Vegetable fats should predominate in a weekly ketogenic diet plan: oils, avocado, nuts, coconut, and seeds. Eggs, meats, and mushrooms are sources of protein.
To avoid a lack of vitamins and minerals, a keto menu should include low-carbohydrate fruits such as berries, tomatoes, and lemon, among others, and increase the number of electrolytes in the body. What can be done simply by increasing the consumption of salt and water or by drinking broth?
Here’s a weekly ketogenic diet menu plan for beginners:
- BREAKFAST: 2 eggs, 10 g of butter. Half avocado Keto coffee.
- MID-MORNING: 1 cheese stick (20 g)
- LUNCH: Fish (120 g of sole, tuna) with broccoli, kale, and six cherry tomatoes. Green Tea.
- SNACK: 1 unsweetened gelatin and a handful of blueberries.
- DINNER: Chicken (120 g) with rapeseed oil (10 mL) and mustard (10 mL). Salad: 3 large lettuce leaves, one cucumber, half a lemon, and a slice of Parmesan cheese.
Carbohydrates: 34 g, Protein 102, Fat 125 g
- BREAKFAST: Green tea, two scrambled eggs with bacon.
- MID-MORNING: 1 gelatin without sugar.
- LUNCH: Roast beef (120 g) with arugula salad, a portion of zucchini, and half an avocado. Green Tea.
- SNACK: 1 handful of strawberries.
- DINNER: Chicken fillet sauteed. Lettuce salad, half a tomato and cucumber with ten ccs of olive oil. ½ cup of blueberries.
Carbohydrates: 35 g, Proteins 99, Fat 130 g
- BREAKFAST: 2 eggs, one slice of Parmesan cheese, and two spinach leaves. Coffee with 10 mL of heavy cream or coconut milk.
- MID-MORNING: 1 Greek yogurt.
- LUNCH: Tuna salad, cabbage, sesame seeds and soy sauce.
- SNACK: 2 pieces of unsweetened dark chocolate (greater than 75% cocoa).
- DINNER: 1 cup bone broth. 1 omelette (2 eggs + 1 white) with mushrooms. Salad of 1 tomato and eight olives.
Carbohydrates: 37 g, Protein: 108 g, Fat 129 g
- BREAKFAST: Green smoothie with spirulina (10 g) and chia (15 g). Cheese and ham bar.
- MID-MORNING: 1 handful of nuts.
- LUNCH: Avocados stuffed with egg, peppers, and gratin cheese. Arugula, kale, and cucumber salad.
- SNACK: 1 Greek yogurt.
- DINNER: 1 cup bone broth. Spinach tortillas. (3 eggs half a cup of spinach) and 10 g of butter. 1 cinnamon tea .
Carbohydrates: 31 g, Protein 90 g, Fat 132 g
- FridayBREAKFAST: Coffee with coconut milk. Scrambled eggs with half a tomato.
- MID-MORNING: 1 handful of nuts.
- LUNCH: Roast beef steak with mushrooms and spinach. 1 cup of strawberries. Green Tea.
- SNACK: 150 g of melon and 10 g of grated coconut
- DINNER: Tomato salad, one can of tuna, lemon cucumber, and black olives. 2 pieces of dark chocolate 70% cocoa.
Carbohydrates: 39 g, Protein: 76 g, Fat 128 g
- BREAKFAST: Sandwich with nopal, ham, and gratin cheese. 1 Green tea.
- MID-MORNING: 2 hard-boiled eggs.
- LUNCH: 100 grams of shrimp, with one zucchini, olive oil, cheese, and arugula.
- SNACK: 1 gelatin without sugar.
- DINNER: Baked fish with zucchini, aubergines, and roasted peppers. 1 chamomile tea.
Carbohydrates: 36 g, Protein: 85 g, Fat 129 g
- BREAKFAST: Keto waffles with black coffee.
- MID-MORNING: 1 stick of cheese.
- LUNCH: Chicken sautéed with wok vegetables, mushrooms, and sesame sticks. 1 handful of blueberries. Green Tea.
- SNACK: Cinnamon tea and two pieces of dark chocolate.
- DINNER: Fish soup with cabbage, fried tomatoes, and cream cheese.
Carbohydrates: 38 g, Protein: 94 g, Fat 122 g
If you prefer, you can download the version of the keto diet for beginners in PDF:
Ketogenic diet for beginners weekly menu PDF
// Recommended: Keto nutrition rules
How does the keto diet work? – Phases
The rationale for the keto diet is that with low carbohydrates, the body goes into a mode called ketosis. In this mode, the body can use fat as an energy source.
To achieve ketosis, carbohydrates must be reduced to 0.2-0.5 g per kilo of body weight per day. (4) The equivalent of about 20-38 grams of carbohydrates per day.
Once this state is achieved, the body enters a fat-burning autopilot mode. Studies have made it clear that a ketogenic diet menu plan can be used to treat obesity. (1,2,4,5)
The phases of the keto diet are:
- Phase 1 – first-week water loss and adaptation
- Phase 2 – get into ketosis, fat loss
- Phase 3 – Continue to the desired weight and gradually increase carbohydrates to avoid the rebound effect
Ketogenic diet benefits
The benefits of the ketogenic diet, compared to other types of regimes, are a less sensation of hunger in the short term, regulation of blood sugar levels, and loss of weight more quickly. (1,3,4,5)
In addition, the ketogenic diet is used in medicine as a treatment for people with epilepsy who do not respond to medication. Just as some studies have made it clear that one of its potential uses is a treatment for specific cases of brain cancer. (6)
The keto diet is considered the fastest method of weight loss in adults. It is considered safe when it is not prolonged for periods greater than 12 months, as long as healthy fat sources are included. (1,2,3)
The keto diet is a quick method to lose weight. However, a beginner should do it correctly. Otherwise, you may suffer from side effects or the well-known keto flu.
In the following phases, you can see more ketogenic diet weekly menu plan examples, as well as we will answer doubts and frequent questions in beginners.