If you are decided to start the ketogenic diet, you are probably wondering what foods you should buy before going to the supermarket.
Like any other diet, the keto diet requires discipline, dedication, and proper food selection. Because it is a low carbohydrate diet, sugar, flour, cereals, and some fruits will not be part of the list.
In this article, you can find an example of a shopping list for the ketogenic diet that you can download to your phone and make things easier.
Ketogenic Diet Shopping List Example
The main foods on the ketogenic diet will be fats to achieve ketosis. But if you are looking to lose weight and stay healthy, it is advisable to buy not only all kinds of fats but also healthy fats.
If you have read about the subject, you have undoubtedly heard that there are several types of the ketogenic diet known as clean keto and dirty keto. Pure keto is the type of keto diet that consists of healthy, unprocessed foods. When making your shopping list, we recommend making sure you are keto clean.
The main reason you have to avoid unhealthy fatty foods such as sausages, salami, etc., on the shopping list is not because of an effect on weight loss; it can deteriorate your health.
Research has confirmed that when a person eats more processed foods, cold cuts, meats, bacon, pork rinds, and other packaged foods, they are at risk of increased heart disease and cancer. (2.3)
Make sure you choose at least five foods for each item, ensuring the food for at least a week.
Below you can see an example of a shopping list for the ketogenic diet:
- White Meats – Chicken, Turkey, Pork
- Fish – tuna, salmon, trout;
- Red meat – steak, ground beef, ribs
- Sea fruits – Prawns, scallops, mussels, lobster
- Edible mushrooms – shiitake, champignons, etc.
- Dairy – non-starchy cheeses, parmesan, cream, gouda, Emmental, etc. – Greek yogurt
- Vegetables and fruits
- Tomates cherry
- Lime or lemons
- Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries
- Fats and oils
- Avocado oils
- Coconut oil
- Chia oil
- Sesame oil
- MCT oil
- Olive oil
- Rapeseed oil
- Whipped cream
- Linseed oil
- Sesame oil
- Nuts – peanuts, almonds, chestnuts, macadamia
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour
- Chicken soup
- Fideos shirataki
- Chia seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Unsweetened chocolate
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Jams without sugar
Now that you have your shopping list – what to cook on the keto diet?
If you have already done the shopping and are decided to start the keto diet and do not know what to cook, here is an example of a ketogenic breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner.
- Keto coffee with coconut flour pancake
Keto coffee is a classic ketogenic diet. You can combine it with coconut flour and cinnamon pancake to start with energy in the morning. Beat two eggs with 80 grams of coconut flour, butter, and sauté for 5 minutes in coconut oil to prepare the pancake.
- Tuna, kale, lemon, mustard, and cherry tomato salad
Nothing more practical and fresh than a salad for lunch. You can make it based on tuna or any protein sources we mentioned in the shopping list. To give it a gourmet touch, you can add seeds on top.
- Greek yogurt with blueberries
Greek yogurt is an allowed food on a keto diet. Be sure to include it on your shopping list to add variety to your meals. You can add blueberries or other strawberries to avoid the lack of nutrients and antioxidants.
- Stuffed avocado
To prepare these ketogenic dinners, you need your shopping list to be varied. Otherwise, you will end up getting bored and quitting keto soon.
Other Tips for Beginners on the Ketogenic Diet
The basic rule of thumb on the ketogenic diet is to limit carbohydrate foods and replace them with fats; proteins are allowed in moderate amounts.
A keto diet is safe for most people. However, before starting, it is necessary to consult your doctor if:
- You take medication for diabetes
- You take blood pressure medicine
- You are a pregnant or lactating woman.
- You are a teenager or growing up.
If you don’t fall into these situations, you can start the ketogenic diet.
When starting the keto diet, you should know that you need to drink a more significant amount of water during the first week and consume slightly more salt (about 6 grams per day). This is to avoid the keto flu and specific unwanted side effects.
- A ketogenic diet shopping list should contain healthy fats and oils as a critical component.
- Including low-carbohydrate fruits, vegetables and protein are essential to avoid a possible lack of nutrients.
- Also, be sure to buy spices and condiments; these will add flavor and variability to your dishes.