Oatmeal pancakes are an ideal healthy breakfast option.
In particular, it is one of the best for people with diabetes and other people with carbohydrate metabolism problems.
This flourless oatmeal pancake recipe is delicious and easy to make. You can combine it with fruits or vary it to make a gluten-free oatmeal pancake.
Oatmeal Pancakes: Why Are They Healthy?
The pancake or oatmeal pancake is a delicious and nutritious recipe based on ground oats and eggs.
Oatmeal pancakes are one of the most popular breakfast options in the fitness community.
Making flourless oatmeal pancakes is easy. With little tricks in the recipe, you can improve its flavor, texture, and versatility of colors. Once the pancake base is obtained, it can make sweet and winged recipes.
Why oatmeal and not flour?
Oats have a lower glycemic index than flour. For this reason, oatmeal is said to help normalize blood sugar levels.
In addition, the presence of beta-glucans is what provides extra benefits to the recipe for oatmeal pancakes. Research affirms that these molecules can reduce bad cholesterol and improve the pancreas, intestine, and natural microflora (1).
Beta-glucan is found almost uniquely in oats and barley. In higher concentration in its whole grain or bran forms. (2)
With a portion of 50 g of oatmeal in pancakes for breakfast, you can cover the recommended amount of this element.
Flourless Oatmeal Pancakes – Recipe
To cook oatmeal pancakes without flour, it is best to use a thick-walled skillet with a nonstick coating. This is the best way to avoid adding extra oil.
If you don’t have oatmeal, You can grind the flakes in a processor. This will give the recipe smoothness, lightness, and uniformity and help create a crisp layer on the outside.
- 180 g of oatmeal or ground oats
- 2 large eggs
- Three clear
- Three ccs of vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 15g coconut oil or ghee butter
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- 20 ml of milk (optional)
- Optional: stevia 2 g, unsweetened cocoa, ground coconut, cinnamon, fruit, chopped, etc.
- For savory pancakes: salt to taste, nuts, seeds (chia, sesame, sunflower), cheeses (40 g).
- Beat the egg whites and oats for 2 minutes in a bowl until they reach a fluffy consistency.
- Add the desired combinations until reaching a spongy texture.
- Place the mixture in a preheated pan with half a teaspoon of ghee butter or coconut oil over low heat.
- Wait for the medicine to hold firm (approx 4 minutes), and then gently flip the pancake to the other side. !
- Ready! An easy and delicious flourless oatmeal pancake recipe for breakfast.
Notes: The size and height of the oatmeal pancakes depend on the degree of grinding of the flakes: thin pancakes will be obtained from a finely ground homogeneous dough. At the same time, significant bits are best for making taller pancakes.
The oatmeal pancake should be orange in color and have a thick, consistent texture. The pancake should be able to flip quickly in a pan, be thin, and moderately elastic. Ideally, it should not break when folded.
What oatmeal to use?
The traditional pancake recipe involves oatmeal: instant rolled oats can also be used; rolled oats are not the best option.
In addition, to increase vegetable fiber content, you can use oat bran; in this case, before baking, the dough should be left to rest for about 5 minutes to swell the bran.
If you can’t get either the bran or the flour, you can make a fluffy and ground oat pancake from the ground rolled oats.
Types of oatmeal pancakes
The above recipe is super customizable. By making different variations, you can prepare different types of oatmeal pancakes. Below you can see other types of oatmeal pancakes:
- Protein pancake recipe
To make protein oatmeal pancakes, you can pre-add half a tablespoon of whey protein. If the texture becomes too dense, you can add extra coconut oil to the dough, preventing the oatmeal from becoming too dry.
Another way to cook protein oat pancakes is to add low-fat white cheese to the recipe. First, prepare the oatmeal pancake mix as explained above, and add the skim cheese over the pancake last.
- Oatmeal pancake with no added sugar
The additional ingredients for making oatmeal pancakes with no added sugar are sweet with bananas, berries, and nuts. Apples can also be used in the recipe.
In the case of bananas, it is recommended to add them previously crushed in the preparation. In the case of apples, it is recommended to fry them beforehand. Also, to make them sweeter, you can use sugar substitutes such as stevia, agave syrup, xylitol, etc.
- Flourless and gluten-free pancake
In this case, you should be careful to add a higher proportion of milk to prevent the pancakes from being dry. Another option is to make pancakes based on buckwheat flour, a pseudocereal that does not contain gluten.
The texture of the pancakes with buckwheat is more delicate and goes well with fruits or jams in the form of a roll.
- Preparing oatmeal pancakes is easy.
- Due to its high nutritional value, it is an excellent option to replace toast in the morning.
- It is enough with only three ingredients, although different salty and sweet recipes can be elaborated.
- Preparing oatmeal pancakes without wheat flour and gluten-free is possible. If you can’t find gluten-free oats, you can use coconut flour or buckwheat-based flour.