We all love the idea of finding a quick solution to cleanse the body. The word detox is often used to sell products and meal plans as a magic bullet for weight loss.
The simple truth is that there is no magic bullet regarding losing body fat.
Just as science has confirmed that when a person eats a balanced diet, they do not need detox diets to cleanse the kidneys, liver, and intestines. (1) All of these organs are perfectly capable of detoxifying themselves.
Are there foods capable of improving the detoxification and cleansing of the body? The answer is yes. Foods rich in plant fiber, foods high in pectins, flavonoids, and low in sugar are excellent choices of ingredients to cleanse the body. (2,3,4)
Combining different groups of green foods in the form of detox shakes is a simple method to detoxify the body.
When and why do a detox plan?
The accumulated consumption of unhealthy foods triggers all kinds of negative processes in the body. The consequences that can be seen with the naked eye are: bloating, weight gain, constipation problems, fatigue, dark circles, etc.
On a micro-scale (we can’t see them), the body may be suffering from nutrient imbalances and hormonal changes. These processes lead to the catastrophe of various metabolic processes in the long term.
Avoiding certain food groups is an excellent way to prevent food poisoning. Processed meat foods, fried foods, alcohol, tobacco, and foods with excess added sugar are first on the list of foods to avoid in a detox plan.
If you have been tempted, including one of the examples of detox shakes listed below at least twice a week can help cleanse your body.
Vegan detox shakes – Examples
Fiber-rich, sugar-free shakes are ideal for helping improve the digestion process. If you suffer from constipation, feel bloated, or feel the need to cleanse your body; It is an excellent time to try one of the detoxes shakes listed below:
- Spirulina, cucumber, and lemon
- 1/2 cup cucumber sliced
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 1 cup of spinach
- One green apple
- Juice of 1 lemon
- One teaspoon of powdered spirulina
- Eight ice cubes
- Stevia (4 sachets)
- Optional: vegan protein powder
- AT YOUR SERVICE
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened granola
- Add the cucumbers, spinach, green apple, spirulina, lemon juice, and ice to a blender.
- Blend to a frozen consistency, scraping down the sides if necessary.
- If the surface is too thick, dilute with water or more almond milk.
- Thicken it with more ice or flaked oatmeal if it is too runny.
- Add the stevia and adjust the flavor as necessary; for greener color, add more spirulina.
- To serve, top with blueberries and muesli.
Three pineapples, lime, and mint
- 1/2 cup of water
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve immediately. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, I recommend mixing the spinach, cilantro, and ginger with the water first to help break them down completely. Then add the fruit and lime juice, and mix again.
- Kale, ginger, and nopal
- 1 cup tender kale leaves
- 1/2 cup of nopal peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- Coriander leaves
- Six ice
- One tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Optional: stevia or honey
- Add the kale, nopal, lemon juice, ginger, rice, and almond milk to a blender.
- Blend until a frozen consistency is achieved.
- If the surface is too thick, dilute with water or more almond milk. If it is too liquid, thicken with more ice.
- Add the stevia and cilantro, adjusting the flavor as needed. Serve immediately.
Taking detox shakes is a simple method to cleanse the body. However, it is essential to know that following the rules of healthy eating is not necessary.
The benefits of green smoothies are attributed to their high plant fiber and pectin content. When making vegan detox shakes, it is recommended not to include added sugar. Neither coconut sugar nor brown sugar can be considered healthy foods.
An example of an easy vegan detox shake recipe is combining pineapple, lemon, and mint with ice. More complex recipes include nopal, spirulina, and almond milk. However, the combination of flavors and their added benefits make trying this green smoothie well worth it.