Boiling eggs may sound like a straightforward task to do. Although you do not need to be an expert in the kitchen to cook eggs, surely more than once you will have been disappointed, and when you peel them, you were surprised that they were raw or scorched.
To make perfect eggs, it is essential that you measure the cooking time. This time is key to getting the different types of boiled eggs, and you should start measuring it after the water begins to boil if you have a better timer.
As little as 1-2 minutes difference in cooking time will allow you to get hard-boiled eggs or the perfect poached eggs. If you choose to boil eggs in the microwave, Keep the time marked on the screen as a reference and use salt water; this will help prevent the eggs from exploding.
Read on to find out how to cook eggs properly – what are the perfect times to make hard-boiled and poached eggs.
How to boil eggs correctly?
The time should be between 9-10 minutes to make hardboiled eggs, not counting the additional minutes to heat the water to the boiling point. An easy way to speed up the process is to boil water in an electric kettle and then add it to the pot with the eggs.
To boil soft-boiled eggs, 5-7 minutes is enough. The exact figure will depend on the actual size of the eggs: large ones take longer than small ones.
If you like eggs with runny yolk or poached from the moment of boiling, mark 4-5 minutes, again, depending on the weight. To make the eggs easier to peel, immediately after boiling, they are immersed in cold water for 5 minutes; this is especially important when they are cooked and boiled.
Tips for boiling eggs step by step:
- Wash the eggs well. Since germs from the shell can enter the stomach, it is recommended to wash the eggs thoroughly with soap and water before boiling them.
- Place the eggs in a small pot. If you only boil 2-3 eggs, it is more practical to use a small saucepan for boiling; This will speed up boiling the cold water. A large saucepan with too much liquid can take more than 5 minutes to heat up.
- Bring the water to a boil over low heat. To properly boil the eggs (and not run out of water if you spend time), the water temperature must below.
- It measures the time after the water boils. The main secret of boiling chicken eggs is strictly observing the time they spend in boiling water. When cooking “by eye,” you run the risk of not boiling the eggs or overcooking them and obtaining an excessively dry yolk.
How to make poached eggs? – Tricks
Poached eggs are a French and English dish. The word poached refers to “in a bag,” which means that the egg is wrapped without the shell. In this case, a little vinegar is added to the water; this helps correct the acidity and prevents the yolk from spreading.
First, bring the water (with a tablespoon of vinegar) to a gentle boil, then break the eggshell into a bowl. While stirring the water with a whisk and creating a vortex, slowly pour the egg into the center of the pot, keeping the bowl as close to the water as possible.
The cooking time, in this case, will be about 3 minutes, after which the egg is removed with a slotted spoon and gently placed on a surface.
An alternative and more straightforward method of making poached eggs is the plastic wrap method; in this case, they are first placed raw in a film (or a small bag), in which they are boiled for the same amount of time.
- An egg fast – egg-fast – What is it and how is it done?
- Eggs – Proteins, calories, and nutrients
- Is eating too many eggs bad for fatty liver?
What happens if you boil eggs for 3 hours?
The slow boiling of eggs for several hours is found in Jewish and Arabic kitchens. Still, in this chaos the water temperature is not 100 ° C but varies from 70 ° C to 90 ° C. Due to the low temperature, the eggs cook gradually, their flavor is delicate, and their texture is delicious.
While boiling eggs in 100-degree water for more than 30 minutes is entirely safe, it still significantly affects their taste. Cooking for many hours gives the yolk a rubbery texture and causes the protein to dry out excessively. However, the calorie content and composition do not change.
To properly boil chicken eggs, you need to be precise with time (using a timer is essential).
The cooking time depends slightly on the size of the eggs, although basically, it takes 5-7 minutes for an egg with a runny yolk and 9-10 for a hard-boiled egg.
To make poached eggs, you can use the traditional method (water with vinegar and form a vortex in the water) or use plastic sheets.