You don’t always have to starve when it comes to losing weight. Extreme diets do not usually give good long-term results.
A person tends to starve when their leptin levels are altered. (1) Leptin is the hormone that alerts the brain when you have enough energy, and it is time to stop eating.
Studies have confirmed that if dieting reduces the number of calories by more than 20%; or the amount of carbohydrates in excess is decreased, the results in losing weight are not good in the long term. (2,3,4)
This article describes how to diet to lose weight without starving and details an example of a weekly menu plan.
Weekly diet to lose weight without starving – Sample menu
To lose weight without starving, carbohydrate foods should be the primary energy source in a weekly diet. However, it is not about eating white bread, sweets, and pasta.
A correct weekly menu plan to lose weight should include complex carbohydrates with a low glycemic index as the main ingredient. These are whole grains, pseudo-cereals, and vegetables. This type of food provides its energy slowly and continues. This allows a person not to feel hungry throughout the day.
Ideally, the carbohydrates, protein, and fat ratio are 60:15:25, with a calorie reduction of no more than 10%. According to research (5), this is the ideal ratio of macronutrients to avoid starving when dieting. Below is an example of a weekly diet menu to lose weight without starving:
- BREAKFAST: Coffee with skim milk with one whole-wheat toast with lean cheese.
- MID-MORNING: 1 orange or kiwi.
- LUNCH: Baked blue fish with broccoli, green salad, and cherry tomatoes. Green Tea.
- SNACK: 1 skim yogurt with chia seeds and blueberries.
- DINNER: Omelette with one egg + 1 white with tuna and bean salad.
- BREAKFAST: Natural orange juice, one whole-wheat toast with lean ham, and a handful of nuts.
- MID-MORNING: 1 low-fat yogurt with half a banana.
- LUNCH: Grilled chicken breast. Cabbage, buckwheat, and grated carrot salad.
- SNACK: 1 apple.
- DINNER: 1 cup of blended soup. One omelet (1 egg + 1 white) with mushrooms. Tomato and olive salad.
- BREAKFAST: Coffee with vegetable milk. Oatmeal pancake with skim cheese spread.
- MID-MORNING: 1 tangerine and one low-fat yogurt.
- LUNCH: Tofu sauteed in coconut oil. Green leafy salad, quinoa, and half an avocado. Green Tea.
- SNACK: 1 peach.
- DINNER: Chicken fillet. Lettuce, tomato, and cucumber salad. ½ cup blueberries
- BREAKFAST: Fresh orange juice with chia with one whole-wheat toast spread with light cheese and tomato.
- MID-MORNING: 2 slices of pineapple.
- LUNCH: Baked chicken breast with vegetables. Arugula, kale, amaranth, and cucumber salad.
- SNACK: 1 low-fat yogurt.
- DINNER: Tomato, tuna, and lean cheese salad. One cinnamon tea.
- BREAKFAST: Coffee with almond milk. Oatmeal pancake with thin cheese.
- MID-MORNING: 1 orange.
- LUNCH: Grilled beef steak with brown rice, mushrooms, and spinach. 1 cup of strawberries. Green Tea.
- SNACK: 250 g of chopped fruits and low-fat yogurt.
- DINNER: Omelette with lean cheese. Tomato, cucumber, and black olive salad. 2 pieces of dark chocolate 70% cocoa.
- BREAKFAST: Detox shake with one whole-wheat toast, spreadable lean cheese, and tomatoes.
- MID-MORNING: 2 dark chocolate cubes and half a banana
- LUNCH: Wholemeal pasta with cherry tomato, cheese, and basil.
- SNACK: 1 tangerine and one low-fat yogurt.
- DINNER: Baked fish with vegetables. 1 cup of watermelon. 1 chamomile tea.
- BREAKFAST: Scrambled eggs with tomatoes and three whole-grain cookies. Black coffee.
- MID-MORNING: 1 peach
- LUNCH: Brown rice with wok vegetables, mushrooms, and teriyaki sauce. 1 handful of blueberries. Green Tea.
- SNACK: Protein shake without sugar.
- DINNER: Fish soup with buckwheat and tomatoes. One low-fat yogurt with oatmeal and blueberries.
Dieting and not starving – Tips
Low carbohydrate weight-loss diets (such as the keto diet ) are an effective method of losing weight fast. However, if they go on for long periods, they make people feel more hungry than they should.
Another essential tip when dieting to lose weight and not starve is not to extend the time between one meal and another.
Also, avoiding simple carbohydrates is the first step in reducing your out-of-control urge to eat when dieting.
Honey, sugar, and refined flours must be strictly reduced from the diet so as not to starve. This type of food causes a stimulus in the brain that makes a person feel like eating more. (6)
Fats should be a fundamental component in a weekly diet menu to lose weight. To not starve, it is recommended that 30% of total calories come from this energy source. (5)
Eliminating fat from the eating plan is one of the main mistakes when dieting. This results in a hormonal imbalance that, in the end, not only results in poor results in losing weight but can also cause significant damage to health. Here are nine helpful tips when dieting to lose weight without starving:
- Spread carbohydrate foods throughout the day.
- Drink 2.4 L of water per day
- Avoid sugary sodas and alcoholic beverages.
- Eliminate excess sugar
- I prefer vegetable fats to animal fats
- Use sugar substitutes in moderation: stevia, saccharin, etc.
- Choose natural foods that are not packaged, refined, or processed
- Cook food in the oven, steam, grill, or grill.
- Do not bread, or add leftover sauces, especially those containing high saturated fat and sodium glutamate content.
- Dieting to lose weight without starving is possible.
- The main thing in such a meal plan is to limit added sugar and not overindulge in calories.
- A weekly menu plan to lose weight and not starve should provide complex carbohydrates as the primary energy source.
- Avoiding refined flours, saturated animal fats, monosodium glutamate, and being moderate with sugar substitutes are essential tips to control hunger.